Search This Blog

Friday, April 9, 2010

My 2nd essay preview

I think I am going to dive into the first prompt, that is the real skinny textbook debate. I think for the romantic period I am going to use Mark Twain's, "Letters From The Earth". I think I will be able to go through the listed objectives and show clearly why this author should be represented for the romantic period. Twain's obvious imagination clearly paints pictures that display the emotion he is trying to get out of the reader. He is clearly against the rules or customs that go along with the Catholic church that prevailed in his time period. In the modernist period I decided that I was going to go with Chandler's, "Red Wind". I will try to show you how Chandler breaks away from the morals of right and wrong and puts a light on a person of darker nature. In his time period he steps away from the rules of conduct and shows the reader that each one of us could and does to some degree have a darker side to ourselves. The way he uses film noir definitely was "outside" the box. Once again I will take you though the objectives and make a strong case for why he she be represented in the modernist period.

1 comment:

  1. Both of those authors sound good. I'd like to see you do a little bit of explanation about what constitutes the Romantic and Modernist periods.

    For the third, floater author, I might consider a poet. Take a look at the expected outcomes of the course (first page of syllabus). What poet do you think would help students fulfill those?

    ReplyDelete