Search This Blog

Friday, March 12, 2010

Three mystifing WHAT????

Tradition and the individual Talent, pgs 1583-1584

Just when I think I can really critically think through an essay or a poem I get slammed with T.S. Eliot. What are they trying to do to my mind? This whole paragraph about emotion is mumbo-jumbo. How can anyone write about an emotion that they have never experienced? T.S. Eliot is basically saying that a good poet writes about the escape of his or her reality. Well, I might have wished upon a star to, but I live in the here and now! Someone needs to tell T.S Eliot to pull his head out of his you know what and realize that emotion and personality is what makes us individuals. If we as a society did not write or talk about or produce movies with emotion, we might as well kill ourselves because then we would all be robots programmed to just "Live". Stop and think about the last movie that you watched, the emotion of the individual was what made the movie progress forward. The old saying, "if there is an action, there is a re-action", is how the world is made.

The Waste Land

What and where is he going with this? I read T.S. Eliot's biography and understand that there is an underlying tone of religion to this poem, but why on earth did he make this so confusing to read. I now that poets don't have t make a point but you would think that if you were going to write more than, oh, lets say three stanza's, that you would be trying to say something to the reader. In A Game of Chess, Eliot jumps from one subject to another and does not tie them together. He paints this picture of a room that is burning up to a man coming home from the army wanting to have sex. I am so lost in this I need someone to make heads or tails of this poem.

1 comment:

  1. "I am so lost in this I need someone to make heads or tails of this poem."

    We'll try to do just that in class. For the meantime, you might want to look at the notes I posted on Blackboard.

    ReplyDelete