Search This Blog

Friday, January 22, 2010

Are you ready?

Emily Dickinson, poem 479 and 591, p86-87

I found both of these poems to be interesting because so many of us dont think about death until there is a tragedy. Whether a loved one or friend or just maybe an earthly catastrophy, until then we all just go about our business everyday with no thought about the fact that as soon as you are born, your internal clock is ticking backwards so soon to hit 0. When we put that into perspective, we hopefully realize that life is short and that we need to make the most out of every minute. As I was reading each poem, I kept thinking of my family and how we have no idea when death will come knocking. Because we have no idea, I dont want to miss out on anything that my daughter does. I want to see her facial expressions as I ask her to eat trees and want to see her throw herself on the ground when she is mad. I want to hear her cry at 2:30 am and the laughter as I tickle her. I want to make the most out of every minute I have here on earth.

Emily's tone in both 479 and 591 were peaceful. In 479, Emily knew that death was inevitable but she did not wait for it. Her words in 479, "Because I could not stop for death - He kindly stopped for me" show that she was living in the moment. Even though this poem is about a person right after the moment of death, the bigger picture here is that life is very important and that we should make the most out of it, but not to put our riches in things that you cannot take but in their legacy whether that be their family or friends.

In poem 591 as you read though it you realize that there is no fear. That person has their affairs in order and that they are ready for that peace that they will feel when they see there "King" or maker.

I think there is a relation between poem 479 and poem 591. Obviouslly they are talking about death but more importantly the connection here is that death will come and wait for no one. Do you want to leave this world full of regrets or do you want to see your "King" knowing you did your best.

Death is coming!!!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed Dickinson's poems more than I enjoyed Whitman's. I found it interesting that she could convey just as much thought and emotion as Whitman did, but with vastly fewer words! The poems dealing with death were of particular interest to me as my grandpa has literally been on his deathbed for a month. In fact, the call finally came Friday evening that he was gone. I hope he was at peace...he certainly lived his life to the fullest and was happy and very loved. Death waits for no one.

    ReplyDelete